No one can eat rice like Costa Ricans! We eat our standard white rice recipe three times a day. Yes, you read that right- three times a day!
The thing is, not every one of our rice dishes is the same, and we know a thousand foods that go with rice. We make white rice at breakfast, eat long-grain rice desserts (yes- I said white rice for dessert!) and of course, every main meal includes white rice. Which means that most of our meals are gluten-free.
This post is constantly being updated with links to our favorite rice dinners, rice dishes, rice appetizers, rice meals, and pretty much a thousand other things to eat with white rice. If you have a suggestion for this page (it doesn’t have to be Costa Rican food!) just message me and I’ll add it- Contact Me.
Related article: Costa Rican Black Beans Recipe
This post is divided into two parts- Costa Rican recipes with white rice and non-Costa Rican recipes with rice.
Recipes With Costa Rican White Rice
- Costa Rican White Rice Recipe- This recipe is the basis for every single other recipe involving rice in Costa Rican cuisine. Easy to learn, a lifetime to master.
- Costa Rican Arroz Arreglado Recipe – When you get tired of plain old white rice, you just jazz it up a little.
- Costa Rican Tamales Recipe- Receta Tamal de Puerco de Costa Rica – A tried and true Costa Rican holiday recipe
- Traditional Costa Rican Gallo Pinto Recipe – Our national dish, our most popular recipe and the best breakfast on the planet. Or can be a side dish!
- Costa Rican Chifrijo Recipe – This is like one of those rice bowls- only Costa Rican!
- Arroz con Pollo Recipe – Chicken and rice a lo tico! It’s like a stir fry, with Salsa Lizano!
- Costa Rican Shrimp and Rice Recipe -Arroz con camarones – Traditional fried rice with shrimp. This might be my favorite Costa Rican dish ever.
- Garbanzo Bean Soup Recipe – Stovetop – The first of three recipes for this dish I have on the site. So packed with flavor and a hit with everyone
- Instant Pot Chicken Garbanzo Soup – Instant pot version ready in 15 minutes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Garbanzo Soup Recipe – And the slow cooker version. You’re welcome!
- Olla Carne – Costa Rican Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe – I would argue this is actually the Costa Rican national dish- and it is so good!
- Traditional Costa Rican Black Bean Soup Recipe – Of course, we put rice in it! This would be a good recipe to add brown rice or basmati rice to, instead of the traditional long grain.
- Costa Rican Tortilla Soup (Sopa Azteca) – This dish comes from the Yucatan peninsula, but is on every Costa Rican menu. So delish!
- Costa Rican-Style Shredded Beef with Red Sauce (Carne en Salsa) – This is always served with white rice and black beans.
- Costa Rican-Style Shredded Beef Recipe – This is an essential Costa Rican recipe- it’s the vase for so many others. And delicious with rice!
- Recipe for picadillo with carrots and green beans – This recipe is a main dish, a side dish, a gallo and can be made vegan. Versatile, delicious and easy.
- Picadillo de Chayote – Quintessentially Costa Rican, super healthy and packed with nutrients. Oh, and did I mention that we serve with with white rice?
Non-Costa Rican Rice Recipes
- Pan Seared Scallops With Roasted Vegetables Recipe – This recipe would be so good with wild rice or traditional rice pilaf.
- Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe – This is my signature dish and the best thing I ever make.
- Baked Carnitas Recipe- Carnitas Tacos -Serve with rice, beans, tortillas and your favorite salsa!
You might also like our complete list of Costa Rican recipes.