This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, INC. and The Coca-Cola Company, all opinions are mine alone. #SummerRefreshment #Kroger #CollectiveBias
When I was pregnant with Big Sister, my mom and little sister had the most adorable baby shower for me. I have the best memories of that day- so many women that I still admire today came to celebrate our new addition- and give me lots of helpful advice. My sister made the most adorable fruit salad inside of a watermelon baby carriage- and she assembled it right in my kitchen in just a few minutes. I wanted to replicate this for Sunday family dinner, and I paired the fruit salad with ice cold Sprite®. I added some fruit and ice to make a sparking fruit drink- perfect refreshment for these hot summer days.
With temperatures in Denver hovering in the high 90’s, I thought this would be the perfect time to share this tutorial. That, and watermelon just screams summer! We love to eat juicy watermelon on the patio- and I love to watch the juice run down my toddler’s chin and onto her shirt. This watermelon baby carriage centerpiece was also so much fun to put together. Here’s what you’ll need to create this adorable centerpiece.
What You’ll Need
- 1 medium to large watermelon
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 orange
- 1 box blueberries
- 1 baby pacifier
- 1 baby hair bow (optional)
- 3-5 toothpicks
- Fruit salad of your choice, about 4 cups of fruit (I used grapes, cherries, raspberries, blueberries and melon)
- Sprite or Minute Maid® Lemonade
Instructions for the Watermelon Baby Carriage
- Start by carving your watermelon in an L-shape. I used a large carving knife for this- and it wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be!
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, carve out the back part of the watermelon, and then about 2-3 inches down on the inside. You can definitely carve the entire watermelon, but I liked to have a bit of the fruit inside the melon, and the rest around the centerpiece. Wondering what to do with the leftover watermelon? Watermelon agua fresca of course!
- Now it’s time to make your baby! I pierced the grapefruit with a paring knife in the place where I wanted the mouth. After one twist of the knife I was able to insert the pacifier. Next, I put two blueberries on the end of toothpicks and put them in for the eyes. Since we have two girls I added a bow, but that is totally optional.
- Place the baby in the middle of the “carriage” and fill in with fruit. I placed everything on an large plate and put the rest of the fruit salad on the plate. Serve cold with Sprite fruit mocktails, and this watermelon baby carriage is the perfect slice of Summer!
Please tell me that this isn’t the most adorable watermelon baby carriage ever- and the best part is- the baby never cries!
This watermelon baby carriage with Sprite fruit mocktails is the BEST way to celebrate summer- during baby shower or just a regular family get together. We enjoyed this centerpiece during Sunday family dinner- we made this perfect Paleo foil packet and enjoyed a dinner night outside (and a cool kitchen)!
To replicate this awesome summer evening and to make your own watermelon baby carriage, head to your local Kroger for everything you need. In the produce section you’ll find a great offer for $1 off your watermelon purchase when you buy 2 Minute Maid or Sprite 2 liters- look for the tear off coupon.
Find other awesome ideas for your own perfect slice of Summer at the #SummerRefreshment site– we can’t wait to see what you create!