If you know me at all, you know I’m pretty much an open book. I’m happy with myself and who I am. I’m pretty darn self-reflective, and I learn fast from my mistakes. I’m working on being truly proud of my accomplishments.
Here are 25 things about me you may not know. And a bonus- a link to my all-time favorite song. Here goes!
- My favorite drink is water. I drink a gallon a day. A close second is Diet Dr. Pepper. Then beer- preferably Imperial.
- I was the drum major for the marching band in high school. I was also on the dance team. There was one football game I remember where I had my dance outfit under my drum major uniform. I directed the band, peeled off the top layer of clothing and raced back to the field to dance
- I love Nebraska! I went to UNL and played pit percussion on the drumline. I was a fixture on Huskervision, and people around campus would often recognize me from the band.
- I didn’t start speaking Spanish until I was 20. I became fluent in 5 months.
- When I was 19, someone sent me to war-torn Guatemala as the chaperone of high schoolers for a service trip to build houses. That’s where I fell in love with Latin America.
- In my former life, I was a public school teacher- and I consistently made the most impact academically with African American and Latino 10th and 11th-grade boys.
- I started a program in high schools for Native Spanish speakers to learn to read and write their native language- and had the highest AP Spanish test scores in Denver Public Schools.
- I can’t go more than a few days without dancing. Zumba, salsa dancing, or just a spontaneous dance party.
- I am a huge Belieber- Yes, Justin Bieber.
- I rarely, if ever watch tv.
- I pretty much only speak Spanish to my daughters even though it’s not my native language.
- I still purchase and listen to CDs. (Anyone else?)
- I love to read and talk about books. I just finished my 70th book this year. If you are a bibliophile too, please find me on Goodreads!
- I started my love affair with travel thanks to my mom, who took me to England and Scotland when I graduated high school.
- I have marched in the St. Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin Ireland.
- I am extremely flexible, I can still do the splits in jeans.
- My favorite album of all time is The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I saw her perform live (Outkast opened!) in 1999 here in Denver. I was in the front row.
- I also fast food. I even stood in line to get free Chick-Fil-a for a year- and I got it!
- Speaking of food, I love Casa Bonita. And yes, I’ve seen the South Park episode.
- My first car was a 1952 Ford Fairlane named Lucy. I rebuilt her engine with my dad the winter before I turned 16.
- I feel most at home at the beach. Preferably at sunset.
- I love to drive- especially steep roads or in foreign countries. I have no fear behind the wheel.
- I love to photobomb people and I think it’s hilarious when they do it back.
- I will jump through almost any hoop to fly Southwest Airlines.
- I adore a good jigsaw puzzle.
Want to know more? Find me on Instagram, or drop me an email at puravidamoms @ gmail.com
Finally- my favorite song. I could listen to it over and over forever and never get tired of it.