I spent last weekend at the We All Grow Latina Summit– and I learned so much from watching experienced influencers work in real time! I was hugely empowered by my conversation with David Lopez as he styled my hair into these easy soft waves. We actually met because I asked him for tips on how to style my biracial daughter’s curly hair (he has the BEST tips for young girls!) I want to share with you how to achieve the fun, flirty look he styled me with in this quick and easy soft waves tutorial for short hair. It’s so easy I came home and did it myself- and I have never used my flat iron to make curls or waves before!
What you need:
- Clean, dry hair- David is passionate about using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner- I prepped with Shea Moisture.
- 1″ flat iron- David used the T3 iron because it is AWESOME. (I am currently saving up for one but in the meantime, I’m using a Conair and it works ok). You must use a 1″ flat iron or this look won’t work (believe me, I tried!)
- Thermo protectant– You definitely want to protect your locks from the heat- I love the Vavoom Gold Heat by Matrix
Watch The Video
Watch the video the David and I shot in the Shea Moisture Suite at the We All Grow Summit- he breaks down the soft waves technique into simple steps.
A Few Additional Tips
We all know that styling out own hair is a different than when someone else styles it. But don’t give up! Here are a tips few things I learned when I tried to replicate this look for the first time:
- Give yourself some extra time to play– you will start to create these waves and it will look like you aren’t doing anything at first- the overall look comes together though, so just keep twirling!
- Section your hair– I used jaw clips, and started at the bottom and in the back.
- Ditch the comb– David never, not once, used a brush or comb on my hair. He used his fingers to section out my hair (in pretty big chunks) and to smooth out the tangles before ironing.
- Your iron needs to be HOT. (Don’t forget that thermal protectant, please!)
- Personalize it! – Add a clip, headband, flower- anything that makes you feel confident and beautiful!
Still struggling? Check out more tips from David and Christa on our Facebook Live video!
The results! After my first attempt at creating soft waves on my own- love it!
Looking for more easy, everyday hair styles that make you feel great and are easy to do at home? Follow David Lopez Hair on Facebook | Instagram | You Tube
Looking for more ways to look and feel beautiful?
- Self Empowerment Through Hair
- 5 Tips For Empowering Young Girls Through Hair
- Beauty Must-Haves for Dry Skin
- 100 Somethings Vegan Challenge 2017
- 10 Tips for 10,000 Steps A Day