I’ve recently been asked by several people- how did you start your blog? How do you make money off your blog? I’ll first say that blogging is NOT easy- and the best bloggers make it look like it is. I had a ton of help getting started from my very successful college friend Sara of Mom Endeavors, and also from some awesome Facebook Groups where veteran bloggers have been gracious with their time and information. Here are my top three tips for how to start a blog.
- Choose a good name. Your given name and your blog name will become synonymous. You want to have a name that is simple to remember, easy to type in a search, and that you actually like- since you will be typing the blog URL and social handles a trillion times a day. I did a TON of thinking before I settled on Pura Vida Moms. I also had researched which URLs and social media handles were free- it has been really helpful for me to have the same simple name across all platforms.
- Decide if the blog will become a business or a hobby . It’s super easy to make blogging a h0bby. Writing, shooting photos, editing and social media promotion can take up a lot of time, and it’s hard to get paid for those things. I knew from the very start that I wanted to make money off of my blog, and made my business decisions accordingly. I didn’t actually get any sort of paid work for the first 5 months either- and making big dollars takes a lot of time and work. Check out this article from my friend Elayna of The Positive Mom on her thoughts about blogging as a hobby versus a business.
- Buy this book (affiliate link). Becca Ludlum of My Crazy Good Life has published a great book to get started with blogging- and when you purchase the book you are eligible to become part of her Facebook Group for new bloggers (which has been a huge support for me!) a member of her big group Pinterest Board, and she will make available starter templates for Media Kits. All of those have been a HUGE help to me as I have started the business.
Of course, once you start a blog, there are so many more questions that will come up- and I’m happy to help answer them. Just leave your questions in the comments below, or send me an email and I’ll get back to you. Now- go get started!
Like it? Pin it!
Looking for more blogging tips from Pura Vida Moms?
- 4 Ways To Prepare For A Blog Conference
- First Blog Conference Preparation
- Five Television Interview Tips