It’s impossible to talk about raising bilingual kids in 2016 without a conversation around screen time. How much, how often, which resources… the discussion seems to be endless. To round out the first series of BilingualWe, Christa and Heather brought in another mompreneur – Aileen Pasariello-McAleer, co-creator of the MamaLingua App for a rich discussion about comprehensible input for our bilingual kids aged 0-5. Thanks, Aileen, for sharing your very last night in Denver with BilingualWe! Listen in for the answers to our key question: What does a positive relationship between screen time and bilingualism look like and why?
Here’s what we chat about:
- What bilingualism looks like at Aileen’s house
- The challenges surrounding teaching kids to read in Spanish
- The BEST media, print, and screen resources for our kids
- How to effectively de-brief with your kids after screen time
- How much screen time is too much, and how to tell
- The benefits of screen time for all learners
- The question of the week: what does screen time look like at your house, and why?
As always, your weekly nerdicles!
- WIDA FOCUS Bulletin: Technology in the Classroom (This article includes a great rubric for determining if the screen content that you putting in front of your kids is quality… AND includes a great article by our very own Heather Robertson-Devine!)
- Teaching young children to read in Spanish (post from Pura Vida Moms!)
- Pro-screen time for global kids blog post
- Social justice article about the importance of bilingualism
- Lil’Libros Books (affiliate link)
Looking for the rest of the videos in Series #1: Your Bilingual Model?
Don’t forget! Please do engage in our conversation on social media using our hashtag #BilingualWe!
And finally… the Baby Book Bundles that we will use in the next series of #BilingualWe are 15% off from Books del Sur! Make sure to order them so you can read along with us! Just click on the link below and use the coupon code #BilingualWe!