We continue our series exploring all different types of bilingual families – because we believe any exposure to a second language is better than none at all. The fourth installment of #BilingualWe gives us a window into Heather’s world: how does she pass along the Spanish language to her son Thomas when she is the only bilingual member of the family? Listen as we chat about contextual bilingualism – the brain and social science behind method, and tangible examples of what that method looks like in Heather’s household.
Here’s what we chat about:
- Orlando and our own chaotic lives
- How you can save 15% on orders from Books del Sur by using our exclusive coupon code
- Shout out to Jenny, one of the members of our #BilingualWe community who shared this great video on our Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/studentcom/videos/701462213325169/
- We re-cap all of our nerdy bilingual kid terminology and give you an overview of BICS and CALPS
- Heather shares about bilingualism in her house: situational, purposeful and people-tied
- Heather shares why she doesn’t lose sight of her bilingual mission at home – and how she is kind to herself when she “falls short”
- The question of the week: what teleserie are you watching? (Heather needs recommendations!)
Check out our nerdy articles (nerdicles!) here:
- Nerdy article link from ACSD
- Great article from the PiriPiriLexicon about how much language exposure you should aim when using Minority Language at Home (spoiler! the answer is NOT what you think it is!)
- Pro-screen time article from Multicultural Kids Blogs
- Books del Sur reading activities that Heather uses with Thomas
Looking for the rest of the videos in Series #1: Your Bilingual Model?
Finally… Don’t forget to engage in the discussion on Social Media using #BilingualWe! We love to hear from you! The question of the week is… What bilingual strategy do you use at home and why?