Raising bilingual kids can be hard work! While bilingual families come in all shapes and sizes, what they all have in common is the fact that, at some point along the way, they made two languages an integral part of their kids’ lives. This is the case with the hosts of BilingualWe, two teachers, moms and sequential bilinguals who teamed up to bring you the latest in bilingual education research, reading strategies and… well, a few (nerdy) laughs along the way. In this first episode of Series 1: Your Bilingual Model, get to know bilingual educators Heather and Christa as they discuss what bilingualism looks like in their families, what research says about the benefits of authentic bilingual texts, and how to join and contribute to the #BilingualWe community.
Here’s What We Chat About:
- How Heather and Christa became sequential bilinguals
- Strategies Christa and Heather are using in their homes right now to foster bilingualism in their children
- Their opinions on the HuffPost UK assertion that authentic, high quality language books are key to successfully raising bilingual kids
- How you can join the conversation as an active member of the #BilingualWe community
- Weekly nerdicle from Huffington Post!
Looking for the rest of the episodes in Series 1: Your Bilingual Model?
- Episode #002: Minority Language At Home
- Episode #003: One Parent, One Language
- Episode #004: Contextual Bilingualism
- Episode #005: Time and Place Bilingualism
- Episode #006: Bilingual Kids and Screen Time
Don’t forget to follow us on Social Media and use the hashtag #BilingualWe to show your support for the bilingual kids movement!