In Episode #0005 of #BilingualWe, Christa and Heather talk about yet another model for bilingualism in the home – homeschool! With special guest Kali from “For The Love Of Spanish“- you won’t want to miss her perspective on educational Spanish in the home, tips for being kind to yourself when you fall short of your language goals, and the importance of the #BilingualWe to combat the isolation that can be a big part of raising kids in a minority language.
Here’s what we chat about:
- How the DMV… and language are great equalizers!
- What is the difference between situational and contextual bilingualism anyway?
- Chat with Kali, the creative mind behind For The Love of Spanish, does in her house for Spanish exposure
- How homeschooling in Spanish can be done… one step at a time!
- The question of the week: what is a Spanish goal of yours for this week?
As always, your weekly nerdicles!
- From Kathy Escamilla at University of Colorado at Boulder, where she explains the use of Word Walls, and high frequency words for emerging Spanish readers
- Heather’s vocales bundle for teaching beginning readers in Spanish is here
As usual, please do engage in our conversation on social media using our hashtag #BilingualWe!
Looking for the rest of the videos in Series #1: Your Bilingual Model?
- Episode #001: Get To Know Heather and Christa
- Episode #002: Minority Language At Home
- Episode #003: One Parent, One Language
- Episode #004: Contextual Bilingualism
- Episode #006: Bilingual Kids and Screen Time