We love to play with play dough at Casa Pura Vida- and we seem to go through it quite quickly. Between the dough drying out or colors getting mixed and mixed until it’s brown or grey, I feel like we always need new dough. There are so many amazing learning activities for kids (affiliate) of all ages that involve play dough, and it’s pretty low mess and high fun. I wanted my girls to be involved in the making of the play dough, and so I worked out this recipe for no cook, no stove, no heat play dough. I also love this recipe because it yields one single ball of dough, so it’s easier to get the dark vibrant colors. I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do!
Yield: 1 medium-sized ball of play doh
- 1-2 TB warm water
- 5-6 drops food coloring (affiliate)
- 5 heaping TB white flour (affiliate), divided (4 TB and 1TB)
- 1 TB oil (olive or vegetable work well) (affiliate)
- 2 TB salt (affiliate)
Here’s a quick video that will show you how to make the dough!
- Store the play doh in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
- I have tried to use whole wheat flour for this recipe, but it doesn’t work very well.
- If after mixing the dough, it seems a bit dry, you can work in a little more oil
- I bought kosher salt in bulk (affiliate) because it was a lot cheaper, and it works really well for this recipe
- If you use gel food coloring you may have to use a bit extra, and knead the dough a bit more
Looking for more fun activities with kids from Pura Vida Moms?
- Cute Thumbprint Animal Notebooks
- 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids
- Seek and find books for toddler language acquisition