In the third episode of #BilingualWe , Christa and Heather get super nerdy about bilingualism! They believe that it is beyond important to expose kids to two languages – no matter how or where. So, they recap all the important bilingual kid lingo from Episode 1 and Episode 2 – simultaneous bilingual, sequential bilingual, Minority Language at Home – and introduce the One Parent One Language (OPOL) bilingualism strategy. As always, with references to the latest research in bilingualism, the best articles related to raising bilingual kids, and this week… a giveaway partnership with MamaLingua!
Here’s what we chat about:
- Christa asks Heather about her kids: are they really simultaneous bilinguals?
- Overview of One Parent One Language strategy (OPOL) – and some common bilingual kids myths debunked
- What are the pros and cons of OPOL…. And what is the effect of the “language of power” on our bilingual kids?
- What’s code switching, and how does it relate to bilingualism in kids?
- Two teachers really talk to you about school assessments for bilingual kids…
- The question of the week: What bilingual strategy do you use at home and why?
Check out this week’s nerdicles!
- One Parent One Language Overview from Linguistic Society
- Great blog post on multilingual families
- The Economist – a reader social media share!
Looking for the rest of the videos in Series #1: Your Bilingual Model?
- Episode #001: Get To Know Heather and Christa
- Episode #002: Minority Language At Home
- Episode #004: Contextual Bilingualism
- Episode #005: Time and Place Bilingualism
- Episode #006: Bilingual Kids and Screen Time
Finally… Don’t forget to engage in the discussion on Social Media using #BilingualWe! We love to hear from you! The question of the week is… What bilingual strategy do you use at home and why? Engage in order to be featured in our next episode!